statement of faith
Overland Missions understands that Christians can come from many different denominational backgrounds. Overland Missions is not affiliated with one specific denomination but works with all full-gospel denominations. We believe that the body of Christ should be strengthened, encouraged and function as a whole.
We attempt to create teams that are well-rounded with members that vary in giftings and backgrounds.
This creates a fully functional body of believers to accomplish each expedition. Though this is our inclination, we value unity and sound doctrine above it. Therefore, we ask that you read through our Statement of Faith.
The programs and activities governing the form of worship of OVERLAND MISSIONS, INC. shall be based upon and at all times be consistent with the following creed and beliefs.
1. We believe in the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments in their original writing as fully inspired of God and accept them as the supreme and final authority for faith and life.
2. We believe in one God, eternally existing in three Persons – Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
3. We believe Jesus Christ was begotten of the Father, conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the virgin Mary and is true God and true man.
4. We believe God created man in His own image; that man sinned and thereby incurred the penalty of sin which is death, physical and spiritual; that all human beings inherit a sinful nature which issues (in the case of those who reach moral responsibility) in actual transgressions involving personal guilt.
5. We believe the Lord Jesus Christ died for our sins, a substitutionary sacrifice according to the Scriptures, and that all who believe in Him are justified on the grounds of His shed blood.
6. We believe in the bodily resurrection of the Lord Jesus, His ascension into Heaven, and His present life as our High Priest and Advocate.
7. We believe in the personal return of the Lord Jesus Christ.
8. We believe that all who repent of their sin and receive the Lord Jesus Christ by faith are born again of the Holy Spirit and thereby become children of God.
9. We believe in the baptism of the Holy Spirit, empowering and equipping believers for service, with the accompanying supernatural gifts of the Holy Spirit and in fellowship with the Holy Spirit. We believe in the divinely ordained ministries of Apostle, Prophet, Evangelist, Pastor, and Teacher.
10. We believe in the resurrection of both the just and the unjust, the eternal blessedness of the redeemed, and the eternal banishment of those who have rejected the offer of salvation.
11. We believe the one true Church is the whole company of those who have been redeemed by Jesus Christ and regenerated by the Holy Spirit; that the local church on earth should take its character from this concept of the Church and therefore, that the new birth and personal confession of Christ are essentials of Church membership.
12. We believe the Lord Jesus Christ appointed two ordinances, Baptism in water and the Lord’s Supper, to be observed as acts of obedience and as perpetual witnesses to the cardinal facts of the Christian faith; that Baptism is the immersion of the believer as a confession of identification with Christ in burial and resurrection and that the Lord’s Supper is the partaking of the emblems symbolic of the Savior’s broken body and shed blood, in remembrance of His sacrificial death, until He comes.
13. We believe Christ paid for healing in his death, burial, and resurrection in accordance with Isaiah 53:4, Matthew 8:17 and 1 Peter 2:24.
14. We believe the Bible teaches that without holiness no man can see the Lord. We believe in the doctrine of sanctification as a definite, yet progressive work of grace, commencing at the time of the new birth and continuing until the consummation of salvation.
Chairman since 1999
Dr. Leon van Rooyen
Dr. Philip & Sharon Smethurst
Dr. Rodney Howard-Browne
Dr. Matthew Coon Come
Jeffrey Brams, Esq. GC